Neighborhood Camera Rebate Program
The Neighborhood Camera Rebate Program, creates a rebate for residents and businesses located in the City of Wasco city limits, to purchase and install security camera systems on their property which must capture the public street, sidewalk, or alley (faces the right of way) and registers the cameras with the Kern County Sheriff’s Office (KCSO).
The program provides a maximum rebate of up to $150.00 per residential property. For the first qualified, functioning, and registered camera the rebate is up to $100.00. If the same resident purchases a second camera, it may qualify for a rebate of up to $50.00 (based on the actual cost of the camera). Maximum allowable rebate is $150.00 per resident.
NOTE: If the cost of the camera is less than $100.00 (first camera), the rebate will only be 50% of the cost of the camera. The same applies for the second camera, if the value of the camera is less than $50.00 the rebate will only be 50% of the cost of the camera.
Businesses located within the city limits of the City of Wasco and who possess a current City of Wasco Business license may qualify for up to $250.00 rebate or 50% of the cost of the camera system if cost is less than $250.00.
The rebate is exclusively for the cost of the camera(s) not including any applicable tax. The rebate does not include installation, internet access (if required), additional storage, accessories, or any cameras that are purchased, but not installed on the exterior of the property.
If you have purchased your camera system on an installment plan, submit your application when it is paid in full.
This program is intended to help deter crime and assist law enforcement with investigations. Please review the following information and if you have additional questions, please call City Hall at (661) 758-7214.
- The camera system must have been purchased and installed on the property after January 1, 2021.
- The camera must be registered with the Kern County Sheriff’s Office (KCSO). Registration must remain active for at least 24 months.
- Only two security cameras per property address are eligible for a maximum rebate of up to $150.00 (for residential properties)
- Businesses must be located within Wasco city limits and must possess a valid City of Wasco Business license to qualify for a rebate of up to $250.00
- Security camera systems must monitor the exterior of the registered building and face the right of way to qualify.
- Applicants will be required to verify installation of the system (see application for complete details).
- Applicants must provide camera specifications to verify if camera meets the minimum specifications below.
- Applicants must provide a copy of proof of purchase.
- Applicants must provide proof of camera registry with KCSO.
- Applicants must include a still image of their camera’s view.
Camera System Specifications
Security camera systems shall meet minimum technical and video quality specifications below. Some systems may require the purchase of cloud-based storage plans, the cost of these plans are not reimbursable. All cameras must monitor the exterior of the residence/building and face the right of way (public sidewalk, street, alley). We strongly recommend purchasing a camera that is designed for the outdoors as opposed to modifying one designed for indoor use.
- HD Resolution: 1080p or greater
- Must be able to retain and access video for up to 5 days
- Camera’s with night vision or a light feature are preferred.
Applicants must be an owner or tenant of a property that is used as a residence or business located within the city limits in the City of Wasco. Applicants who are tenants must provide documentation from the property owner approving the installation of the security camera system on the property.
By participating in this program, the Applicant acknowledges that he or she will not use the security camera for any unlawful or harassing purposes and will comply with all applicable building and electrical code requirements.
To apply for a rebate, complete the following three steps:
Step 1: Purchase security camera from a retailer and install the camera(s) monitoring the exterior of your property and facing the right of way.
Step 2: Register your camera system with Kern County Sheriff’s Office (KCSO) at https://www.kernsheriff.org/Camera_Program. Registry should remain active for at least 24 months.
Step 3: Complete the Camera Rebate Application.
- You will need copy of your sales receipt
- Additional requirements are listed in the application.
Do not submit your application until the cameras are installed on the property and registered with the Kern County Sheriff Office (KCSO). You must answer all questions on the application and provide proof of purchase of cameras that details the number and cost of cameras purchased, and demonstrates payment made.
Upon submission of a completed application, you will receive an e-mail from City Staff acknowledging successful submission of the application.
Note 1: Approval of rebate application is at the sole discretion of the City of Wasco.
Note 2: It may take up to 45 working days to issue your rebate provided your application is complete and approved.