Business License


This is a quick informational reference to many of local, state and federal agencies that you may need to contact before you "open your doors for business".  Some specialized licenses/permits may be required for your business, particularly if you will be engaged in activities such as food service, hazardous materials, health care, day care and others that are especially sensitive to regulations. Note: Your business may or may not require the following: 

City of Wasco - Information

  1. All parties doing business in the City of Wasco are required to obtain a Business License from the City’s Finance Department, (661) 758-7230.
  2. Make certain that you comply with Wasco Zoning Codes, including home-based business requirements. Contact the City Planning Department, (661) 758-7206.
  3. If there is to be any construction done, including remodeling, to your leased or owned facility, call the City Building Department to obtain Building Permit Requirements, (661) 758-7250.
  4. Water, Sewer & Refuse Service is provided in accordance with the needs of the business. To set up services for your business call the City of Wasco at (661) 758-7230.
  5. Before a City Business License can be issued, Planning/Occupancy Approval must be signed off, All fees must be paid in full for Business License, and City Of Wasco Utility Service must be established.

Additional - Information

  1. If you make up a name for your business, a Fictitious Business Name Statement must be recorded with the County Clerk. Banks generally require a copy of this statement prior to setting up your business checking account. For Information, Contact the County Clerk’s Office at (661) 868-3588.
  2. Contact the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-1040 for a Form SS-4, Tax/Employer ID Number. The IRS can provide withholding schedules and holds small business tax workshops free of charge. You can also access this information online at
  3. Upon hiring employees, you need to obtain a California State ID number from the Employment Tax District office of the EDD, at (661) 395-2896.
  4. If you have employees, you are required to have Worker’s Compensation Insurance.  Contact your own insurance broker or the California State Compensation Insurance Fund at (661) 664-4000.
  5. Businesses with one or more employees must have Injury and Illness Prevention Program. Contact the California Department of Industrial Relations, Cal/OSHA, at (661) 395-2718.
  6. The State of California Consumer Affairs Department regulates many business types. Call (916) 445-1254 to see if this applies to your business.
  7. Retailers and wholesalers must register with the CA State Board of Equalization, (661) 395-2880.
  8. Be certain that your business facility, whether owned or leased, complies with all provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), administered by the US Equal Employment Commission. For more information, call 800-669-3362.
  9. Additional numbers for utilities, SoCal Gas Company 1-800-427-2000, PG&E 800-743-5000